Statistically bikes are stolen more often than cars. So, now you are looking for the best lock for your bike? Well, it doesn’t exist. All of them are vulnerable one way or another, but some of them are just more reliable and resist lock snapping longer. In this review you’ll find out about 10 best bike locks, choose the one for you and learn how to use it in a proper way.
I’d like to discuss a topic which is quite challenging for any biker. Because, both beginners and experienced bike riders still quite often inquire about choosing such a bike lock which will make them sure that the bike won’t be stolen.
The best advice you can get is – never leave your bike on it’s own. Don’t rely completely on a bike lock. Read angry comments on Amazon.com left by those who bought bike locks and they didn’t help them. The most popular story is something like – I locked my bike with your lock and left it for a day (and sometimes for several days) and it was stolen!
I wonder what these people were expecting? If a thief has the whole day he can even rob a bank not to say about stealing a bike.
If you can’t keep an eye on your bike all the time – use two locks of different types. This ensures you’ll get maximal security these bike locks can offer.
So, if you’ve decided to buy a bike lock, don’t try to save money here. It’s true that quite often a good lock costs much higher than you’d like it to. But. Consider the fact, how much money you lose when your bike is stolen and how helpless, thieved and miserable you feel after that. This can be much more painful than loosing couple hundred of dollars.
Nowadays there are lots of bike lock types that are supposed to secure a bicycle from being stolen. So, which of them should you opt for?
In this review you won’t find anything about some popular bike locks. For example, we insist on using cable locks only as an auxiliary one. Why? Well, if we are discussing the best bike locks here – for me there are only two types which I trust completely – a chain and U-lock.
Our review will surely help you to deal with this not easy task of choosing the best lock for your bike. Here we’ll tell you about the most popular and reliable bike locks.
- 1 Advantages and disadvantages of bike locks
- 2 So, you are still wondering how to choose the right lock for your bike?
- 3 Levels of bike lock security
- 4 The best U-lock
- 4.1 Kryptonite New-U New York Standard Heavy Duty – it is just the best one
- 4.2 AMAZER U LOCK is a budget choice
- 4.3 ONGUARD Brute STD U-Lock is a promising newcomer on the market
- 4.4 Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 is a small and reliable bike lock
- 4.5 Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 Standard - “two in one” bike lock
- 4.6 Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Heavy Duty - a scaled-down version
- 5 Best Chain Locks
- 6 Types of bike locks
- 7 Rules of safe parking for bikers
Advantages and disadvantages of bike locks
- It is cheaper and more light weighted than others
- Provides high quality protection
- It is quite inconvenient to carry
- Sometimes its shackle is to small to lock it around rather large objects
- Small sized
- Narrow range of choice
- It is hard to bend it
- Quite easy to break
- Very convenient to carry
- It can be locked nearly around any object
- Very heavy
- Light weighted
- The least reliable of them all
- Can be used as an additional protection device
- Not reliable, one can just carry the bike away together with the lock
So, you are still wondering how to choose the right lock for your bike?
As you may see, the range of choice is very wide. Though, actually there are just two time proved options. These are u-lock and a chain lock.
Surely, the best way to protect your bike is to use U-lock and chain lock simultaneously. But if you are just going to get your first bike lock, which one should you choose? The merits you get from a chain or U-lock depend on how you are going to use each of them.
If you are looking for a portable lock to fasten your bike in the street every day, then U-lock is a better option in this case.
If you are searching for a lock to protect your bike at home or at work, then a high quality thick chain lock twill be the best choice.
We should also mention, that these locks vary essentially as for their weight. A chain lock weighs at least a kilo. U-lock weights almost twice less, which can definitely be considered as an advantage.
It’s necessary to make a few remarks as for the size and transportation of these two types of bike locks. Both chain and U-lock are quite large. While the chain is easier to carry due to its shape and the possibility to fix it tightly to a bike. U-lock as a rule is equipped with a special fastener to a bike frame, however, all models have a play in locking mechanism due to this design feature, so you may hear some rasping when riding over hillocks.
However, there are some life hacks to make your life easier in this respect. Just like most bikers carry the chain lock wearing it as a belt. You can do almost the same with an u-lock – it just can be carried on your belt.
This is my favorite way to protect my bike. Even a cheap U-lock is hard to cut no matter how large are nippers a thief has. As for expensive U-locks – only angle grinder will be able to deal with them. Such a bike lock was my first purchase after getting the bike.
Yes, these locks are large, heavy and expensive as well, but in my opinion it’s better to pay once and keep the bike safe as well as learn from the mistakes of others.
A rigid U-shaped shackle is made of thick bar metal. This is much more reliable protection for a bike, than a cable lock. The main advantage of this lock is that to open it (read to cut it) it won’t be enough to have some ordinary nippers which a thief can simply carry in a pocket. He’ll need some specialized instruments. But there is no way that he’ll be able to get to a bike unnoticed with such instruments.
As for the demerits of this lock – all locks of this type regardless of their manufacturers have the same size and shape which restricts their application.
Therefore, with such a lock you won’t be able to fasten your bike to a tree or concrete post - only a metal fence or a metal lattice will do in this case.
Such locks more often have a key, not a numeric code. Big manufacturing companies make U-locks from a chilled steel, that is very hard to saw in two with an arm-saw. Of course, these are more expensive than ordinary ones (Chinese bike locks) made of soft iron.
In general, U-lock is more usable, if you have to carry it with you all the time. The device is reliable, relatively light weighted, but unfortunately you can’t use it anywhere you like.
Chain Bike Lock
Such a lock is actually made of a chain with a lock at one of its ends (this can be both a typesetting code or an ordinary lock with a key). To keep a bike scratch-free the chain is put into a soft case. Big manufacturers design chain locks with more solid chain rings and unpickable locking mechanism design. For example, it can have a double sided key.
The main advantage of a chain lock if compared to U-lock is that it’s impossible to put a crow bar or something like this into a padlock shackle or in a chain ring.
Here, we should divide chain locks into two types. Those that are lightweight enough to carry them with you or on a bike every day; and those that are heavy and you have to leave them somewhere.
Thick and heavy chain locks will perform better than any U-lock to protect your bike at work or at home. They are safer and more suited for using near your house or the place you work.
Of course, you should understand that any chain can be cut, even the anchor one, if you have a proper instrument and enough time. The thicker and the stronger is your chain lock, the less chances thieves have.
ABUS as well as other manufacturers produces chain locks with improved reliability and strength, these are chains marked as GRANITE. They are made using a special technology which makes the chain 2-3 times harder from outside than inside. The outside hardness provides protection from an arm-saw and the softness inside won’t let to cleave it with a sledge hummer. However, this kind of chain still can be sawed (but it’ll take a lot of time) or cut (but only with a bolt cutter).
Chain locks are more convenient because you can fasten them to almost any object. But. Good chain locks are thick and heavy which means that it is quite inconvenient to carry them with you due to their weight. This is exactly why chain locks are more often used when you leave your bike at home or at work.
Levels of bike lock security
To make it clear for the buyers which lock is reliable and which not the manufacturers have invented classification of security levels. Abus has security level scale from 1 to 15, Kryptonite from 1 to 10, OnGuard from 1 to 100. Independent security ratings - Sold Secure and Foundation ART.
In my opinion, all bike locks with protection level value lower than the middle of their security scale are not worth buying. It’s better to consider those with higher protection level.
The best U-lock
If you are going to buy just one lock (while I still recommend getting two locks), then U-lock will be the right choice. Such locks have the best ratio of security, usability and price.
Kryptonite New-U New York Standard Heavy Duty – it is just the best one
The product line of New York bike locks was designed together with New York bike couriers who regularly have to deal with bicycle stealing. Don’t be deluded by the word “standard” in the lock’s name, since this one is the best in its class.
Even more, Kryptonite New York Standard is actually one of the best bike locks at all. Its high security level is ensured by plow steel which is almost impossible to cut. This lock has 16 mm thick shackle with double locking mechanism.
U-lock Kryptonite New York Lock Standard has a Sold Secure Gold rating and its security level is 9 out of 10. In fact this fantastic bike lock costs almost twice as much as any other U-lock on the market.
This u-lock Kryptonite New York has a vinyl coating protective layer which ensures that it won’t scratch a bike frame. The lock has 3 keys in a set (one of them is lighted with a LED bulb).
- 16mm hardened MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks
- Patented*HARDENED STEEL SLEEVE over crossbar for double security
- DOUBLE DEADBOLT locking for extensive holding power
- HIGH SECURITY DISC-STYLE CYLINDER
- Center keyway defends against leverage attacks
- The lock has 16 mm processed steel shackle
- Security level is 9 out of 10 possible according to Kryptonite security scale for bikes
- Three stainless steel keys come in a set (one has a LED bulb)
- Protected from dust (the keyhole has a cap)
- The lock has water resistant vinyl coating
- Noise and rattle control
- The steel easily gets corroded
- Large size
AMAZER U LOCK is a budget choice
Its shackle is made of zinc alloy with PVC coating. Its total thickness is 16 mm though the steel part is 12 mm thick, which is 4 mm less than that of a previous model. From one hand PVC coating protects the lock from water and mist, from the other hand it keeps your bike scratch-free.
The feature of this bike lock is that it is a keyless one. It uses 4-digit numeric lock that allows to create 1000 variants of code. Though, there’s no thief who will try to guess the code, he’d rather saw the shackle.
The lock has a dustproof case and it’s quite light-weighted – just 1.817 lbs (0.824 kg). The manufacturing company offers 30 days money-back guarantee, so you’ll have the whole month to learn all about the quality of this bike lock.
- WHY AMAZER U LOCK CAN KEEP YOUR BIKE SAFE? Amazer U lock is made of 12mm hardened performance steel shackle and covered by a 3.85mm PVC coating(Total lock's thickness is almost 16mm). So it can resist cutting and leverage attacks. The PVC lining on the "U" prevents it from scratching bike paint job.
- KEYLESS & EASY TO SET COMBINATION: Choose Amazer U lock, no more lost keys! 4-digit set your own combination convenience allows for thousands of possible combinations. Prevent thieves use universal key to unlock your lock.
- DUST COVER: The combination is covered by a dust cover to protects and extends cylinder life. LOCK SIZE: 8.96"(Length) x 5.74"(Width) x 0.624"(Thickness) - PLEASE NOTE: Manual measurement for reference only.
- HEAVY DUTY LOCK OFFER YOUR BIKE MORE SAFETY: The lock's net weight is 1.817 lbs(0.824 kg). The shackle is made of steel, the cylinder is steel and made of solid zinc alloy. Whole lock is covered by quality PC material for good looking and keep your bike from scratching.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: If you are not satisfied with Amazer's 12mm U lock, please return it within 30-DAYS and get a full refund, NO questions asked. We stand behind the quality of all our products.
- Hardened performance Zinc Alloy Shackle
- Ultimate Secure Bike U-Lock
- Money-back guarantee
- Small size of the lock doesn’t allow to fix the bike conveniently
- It can voluntarily reset the lock combination
ONGUARD Brute STD U-Lock is a promising newcomer on the market
OnGuard Brute STD 8001 bike lock has a firm processed steel shackle 16.8 mm thick and lots of spare keys and a high quality case.
Onguard brute STD 8001 model size is 111 x 202mm (4.37x7.96”). Nobody will be able to cut the lock or saw its shackle even when using some specialized equipment. This is due to processed steel used in its construction, since it doesn’t become flexible under large physical loads. There is a rubber cover on the shackle upper side to save your bike frame from scratches when locking it.
- X4P Quattro Locking Mechanism for four sided protection
- Longer 111 x 202mm (4.37x7.96") TriRadius shackle
- Security Rating: 97
- Snap Lock Quick Release multi- position mounting bracket 5 laser cut keys (1 micro-light and 4 extra grip keys); Micro-light key projects a bright white beam
- 16,8 mm processed steel shackle
- Security level is 97 points from 100 according to OnGuard grading scale for bike locks
- 5 laser cut stainless steel keys (one of them has a micro-light)
- Waterproof vinyl coating
- Noise and rattle control
- Snap Lock Quick Release mounting bracket
- Weight and size
Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 is a small and reliable bike lock
Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Disc Lock model is a small sized anti-theft lock. It is made of processed steel which ensures resisting both leverage attacks and bolt cutters. As for the security level classification it has 9 out of 12.
Three keys come in the set. Protective vinyl covering ensures that your bike is scratch-free. It is possible to mount this lock on a disk or to use it with an additional chain.
- 14mm hardened MAX-Performance steel shackle resists both cutters and leverage attacks
- Double deadbolt locking mechanism has extensive holding power
- High security, disc-style cylinder with reinforced anti-drill, anti-pull protection system
- Sliding dust cover protects and extends cylinder life
- 3 stainless steel keys -- one lighted with high intensity bulb & replaceable battery
- 14 mm processed steel shackle
- High security level, disk style cylinder
- 3 keys come in the set
- Key Safe option (possibility to order 2 new keys for free if you lose yours)
- Includes NEW TRANSIT FLEXFRAME-U transportation system which allows for versatile carrying
- Gold Sold Secure (European classification for high security locks)
- Security level is 8 out of 10
- Small size
Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 Standard - “two in one” bike lock
This is a multi-purpose bike lock - KryptoLok series 2 with a cable appears to be quite a usable thing. I mean that you can simultaneously protect the bike itself by locking its frame with U-shackle as well as additionally secure a fore wheel or a saddle by passing the cable through them.
KryptoLok series has security level 6 out of 10 according to its manufacturers scale. This model has a protective vinyl coverage all over the shackle surface and locking mechanism – this allows it not to scratch your bike frame.
U-lock Kryptonite KryptoLok series 2 with a cable has two numbered stainless steel keys (if you register them on their website) and you’ll get another one, if you lose yours. Plastic rotating dust cover protects the locking mechanism from dirt and mist ingress.
Kryptonite KryptoLok series 2 Standard is equipped with a plastic cover from dust. This model is considered to be the most multi-purpose security device for bikes within average priced ones.
- Replaced with new and improved design in 2017 - check out our New U lock, it will send any bike thief running!
- 13mm hardened MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE resists cutting and leverage attacks
- Includes 4' KRYPTOFLEXTM DOUBLE LOOP CABLE for securing front wheel or accessories
- Reinforced HARDENED CROSS BAR DESIGN provides increased protection
- HIGH SECURITY DISC-STYLE CYLINDER
- 13 mm processed steel shackle
- Security level is 6 out of 10 according to Kryptonite security scale for bike locks
- Two stainless steel keys come in the set
- Dust cover made of plastic on a key hole
- The lock has waterproof protective vinyl coating
- Noise and rattle control
- Transit FlexFrame-U mounting system to fix the lock on a bike frame
- Average security level, therefore it’s better to use this lock in some safe places
Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Heavy Duty - a scaled-down version
New York Fahgettaboudit Mini is the only bike lock with 18 mm shackle and without a doubt it is the most reliable one available on the market nowadays.
Due to its small size it resists leverage attacks, which makes it one of the most firm and secure locks in New York product line.
The device security level is 10 out 10 according to the manufacturers security scale. Steel 18 mm shackle, double locking mechanism, strengthened cylindrical case all these make it one of Sold Secure Gold bike locks.
New York Fahgettaboudit Mini has three keys in its set (one of them with LED light). Due to protective vinyl cover, waterproofness and rotating dustcover this bike lock can be used under any weather conditions.
- 18mm hardened MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks
- Oversized, patented*HARDENED STEEL SLEEVE over crossbar for double security
- DOUBLE DEADBOLT locking for extensive holding power
- HIGH SECURITY DISC-STYLE CYLINDER
- Center keyway defends against leverage attacks
- 18 mm processed steel shackle
- Security level is 10 out of 10 according to Kryptonite security scale for bikes
- Three stainless steel keys in the set (one with LED light)
- Dust protection (the keyhole has a cover)
- The lock has a waterproof vinyl cover
- Noise and rattle control
- May get corroded
- Small size
Best Chain Locks
Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 1415 – the best chain lock you can buy for money
Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1415 leaves no chance to any thief to steal your bike. This is one of the strongest chains in Kryptonite product line.
Six sided chain rings made of processed steel are 14 mm thick, a padlock with hardened manganese shackle, disk type cylinder with anti-drill protection – these and many other advantages are the key to make Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1415 one of the best anti-theft devices for bikes.
Waterproof case and vinyl coating ensure that the bike is scratch-free and allow to use Kryptonite bike lock every day.
- 14mm six-sided chain links made of 3t HARDENED MANGANESE STEEL for ultimate strength
- Durable, protective nylon cover with hook-n-loop fasteners to hold in place
- Includes maximum security New York Disc Lock with 15mm MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE
- Patented*, oval hardened STEEL CROSSBAR for extra security
- Hardened DOUBLE DEADBOLT locking for extensive holding power
- Security level: 11 from 12
- «Key Safe» program
- 14 mm chain links with square section are made of hardened manganese steel
- Patented design of end link provides tight fixation of the chain in the bolt and eliminates the possibility of uncontrolled opening
- Reinforced disk style cylinder has anti-pull and anti-drill protection
- There are 3 new ergonomic keys (one is LED lighted)
- Waterproof durable nylon cover protects the bike from scratches
- Very heavy
Amazer Bike Chain – additional protection
This is a thin steel chain covered with a case that protects it from bad weather conditions and the bike from scratches. Unlike the previous model the chain’s lock is keyless. It is opened by entering 4 digit code.
The feature of this model is its length – it is about 3.3FT. Such length allows not only to protect a bike, but anything else you like – from a motorbike to gates in your yard.
As for disadvantages of this model – the chain is thin and it is easily cut with a bolt cutter. Therefore, I’d recommend to use this chain lock as an additional protection together with U-lock.
- CONVENIENCE: No need for keys, more convenient to use with combination. Attach the lock on seat post or cross bar when not in use. Easy and convenient to carry.
- RESSETTABLE: Easy to set your own personalized 4-digit combination. Don't need to use the factory setting combination.
- MULTIPURPOSE: Ideal for bicycles, ladders and sports equipment or tool boxes. Keep your belongings safe and secure. Perfect for locking your bike to a rack, tree or railing.
- HIGH QUALITY: Chain is enclosed in a weather proof cloth sleeve. Protect your belongings from being scratched while extending the life of the chain. Protects chain from being sawed or drilled.
- SIZE: The overall length of the chain lock is about 39 inches. The links are about 1.66" long and about 0.23" inch thick. Weight: 1.55 pounds.
- Portable to Use
- Easy to Set Combination
- Thin chain, easy to cut
BIKE LOCK COMBINATION – an unusual combination
As you see, a chain lock is still just a chain with a lock, whatever marketing experts call it. So, R.M.STONE CYCLING SECURITY SET is another variant of a chain lock. However, it is quite an interesting one.
It is keyless as well, but it has 5 digit numeric lock. I don’t think that any thief will ever try to guess the combination, therefore this kind of lock can hardly be considered as an advantage. As for the chain – it is rather thin – just 6 mm and also short. However, it’s made of stainless still, which is a significant benefit.
What is unusual – the lock has BIKE REPAIR TOOL KIT in its set. Though the kit itself doesn’t affect the lock security level at all, but considering the price of this chain lock it appears to be a nice bonus you get.
In general this is a good choice for quiet and safe places. When used together with some high security lock, it can be also good for areas where theft level is high.
- SUPER PROTECTIVE: Protection in every possible way. #1 Rustproof Anticorrosive chain (AAA Stainless steel). #2 High Cutting - Resistance. #3 Extra Thick metal loops. #4 Mechanic repair tool kit for bicycles (included). #5 Guiding eBook for emergencies breakdowns (included).
- KEYLESS SECURE LOCK MECHANISM: Enjoy the keyless freedom. This bike chain lock has an advanced 5 digits combination lock, allowing up to 100,000 unique codes - making it nearly impossible to crack.
- LONG SHEILDING CABLE: 2.95 feet / 90cm long bike cable lock - easily coiled on bike frame while riding PLUS ideal for storage units, lawnmowers, gym, fences, tool box, BBQ and more. This steel chain lock is covered with 600D protective sleeve, waterproof & dustproof, providing long lifespan. This way this lock will protect your bike even from a scratch!
- DURABLE LIGHTWEIGHT CHAIN: While cycling you want to be as lightweight as possible and for that reason we provide you with a metal chain bike lock which weighs less than 1kg! Now you can ride comfortably, no need to carry extra burden.
- EASY TO SET/RESET: 4 Steps Instructions attached in pictures for your convenient - See for yourself how easy it is to create your own personalized number combination.
- BIKE REPAIR TOOL KIT comes in the set
- Rather short chain
The Club UTL810 Utility Lock – this is the most unusual solution
Let me finish this review with a very unusual type of a bike lock – this is The Club UTL810 Utility Lock. This is actually a frame with which you can fasten your bike to any fixed object. The frame is large enough to let you park anywhere in a city, but it won’t do to spend some time in a village or in the country.
As the manufacturer states, the lock can stand up to 1,500 pounds of pressure. It is true, there is no such a bolt cropper that’ll deal with such thick lock. However, you can saw it up. But there are high chances that the thief will pick a lock which is a weak point here.
Yet, this is more than a good bike lock for its price. Especially, if you are using it together with some more reliable bike lock.
- Replaces chains and padlocks to safely secure ATVs, patio furniture, tools, motorcycles, and more
- Length adjusts from 8.5 inches up to 11.5 inches, 6.25 inches inside width
- Weather resistant and easy to use
- Extra heavy duty construction withstands over 1,500 pounds of pressure
- Vinyl coating tempered steel protects objects from scratches and scrapes
- Strong frame
- Not reliable lock
- Heavy and large sized
Types of bike locks
In this section we’ll introduce bike lock types according to how popular they are. If you already know what you want to get, you may skip this part. If not, it may be of interest to you just to see the difference between these bike locks.
U-Lock bike lock
U-type bike lock is one of the most popular bike locks. It is worthily considered as the most reliable one. Due to its shape and the steel it is made of it is very difficult to cut it and almost impossible for some models. However, it is true with the exception of hydraulic hand held shears, but these are quite expensive and bulky to use. Complicated mechanism of this bike lock leaves no chance to find a skeleton key for it quickly.
U-type bike lock appeared as far back as 1970-s. The idea and design of the lock belongs to Kryptonite company, however some time later other companies started manufacturing such bike locks.
U-type bike locks are famous for the combination of security and small size, they are smaller than chain locks and at that they provide the same protection quality (and in some cases even higher).
U-lock is easy to carry: it’s enough to fasten it to a bike frame, carry it on a belt or just in a pocket.
As a rule, all locks of this type have an U-shaped shackle made of processed steel, which you can saw only with electric tools.
Locking mechanisms in such locks differ depending on the protection level set by the manufacturing company. As for disadvantages of these bike locks – it is quite narrow range of application. For example, you can’t fasten your bike to a tree with such lock.
Chain lock is just a chain with a lock. Unlike any ordinary chain you can buy in a store the chains in chain locks have a special shape of rings and are made of specialized metal, which is not as easy to cut. The chain massiveness and type of steel alloy defines its reliablity.
However, it is quite difficult to use such a bike lock regularly due to its heavy weight. From outside this bike lock has a fabric or polymeric case, that protects a bike from scratches and the chain from moist and dirt ingress.
An ordinary iron chain can be easily filed with an arm-saw – this kind of lock won’t protect anyone or anything. Things are quite different when we talk about special tamper-resistant alloys and chains, that have a special shape of rings, that makes it hard to cut the chain with any special instruments.
You shouldn’t forget about the lock itself – it has to meet all safety criteria and should have a high-grade security level corresponding to the price of your bicycle.
When locking your bike with a chain you get a lot more parking places, since the area the chain can wrap up is larger than that of U-lock. The only drawback of chain locks is their weight. The larger, longer and more reliable its chain is, the heavier it is. In general, chain locks are one of the best ways to protect your bike from being stolen.
This is the most popular and cheap type of locks. It is made of steel-wire rope in a rubber sleeving with a lock at one end. The rope can be long, short and of various diameters. They can have fixation to a seat tube; with a numeric code or can be just locked with a key.
However, the manufacturers mark cable locks as those with minimal risk of bike stealing and designed for kids bikes.
If you ask me, I don’t trust cable locks whatever their price and thickness is. It’s better to take the cheapest U-lock, than any expensive cable lock. Even the thickest steel-wire rope despite its impressive size can be cut with a bolt cutter or tin snips. Cable locks are recommended for short time parking or as an additional protection to a main reliable lock.
It is a very small and light weighted bike lock, which is fastened to a bike frame. Its construction is made of several chilled steel plates fixed together. However, these locks are not reliable at all, since steel plate edges get broken rather easily as well as the plates themselves are not hard to cut, too.
On top of all the design of this lock allows to bend it only in one direction, which makes it less convenient to use. However, considering almost equal price, U-lock will still have higher protection level.
This is a bike lock that is fixed to a bike frame and it fastens a bike wheel to the frame. If you ask me, I don’t see much point in using such a lock, since it doesn’t fasten the bike itself to some object, it just fixates its wheel to stop it from rolling. Yes, the thief won’t be able to ride the bike, but he can just simply take it away or put in into a track and drive away.
Such a lock isn’t efficient in crowded places, since again someone can take it and carry away. Therefore, my opinion is that this kind of lock is good as some additional protection device together with more reliable one.
Rules of safe parking for bikers
Even the most secure and reliable lock won’t protect your bike from thieves, if they decide to steal it. Bike lock isn’t a universal panacea from crime due to the following:
- an experienced criminal will easily pick or break even the most secure and expensive bike lock;
- using an expensive lock means having an expensive bike – this is the logic most thieves follow;
- even a cheap bike can be sold and that’s why criminals are ready to steal everything just to get their money;
- video surveillance in the street quite seldom helps to find stolen bikes or the thief – such cameras poorly deal with recording faces or distinctive marks;
- according to the statistics bikes are stolen even from common facilities in dwelling-houses where you have neighbors, concierges and gatekeepers.
However, common vigilance will safe any biker from loosing his bicycle.
As a rule, criminals tend to steal the whole bike or at least its front wheel. To avoid such situation we recommend you to fasten the front wheel both to a parking racks and to the bike frame. You can do this by means of built-in lock or a padlock. Sometimes to feel completely secure bikers dismount the front wheel, put it next to the back one and then fasten them with the lock together with the bike frame to some reliable parking rack or other object.
- Don’t try to save money when buying a bike lock. It’s better to get a good and expensive one, since the logic is simple here – the cheaper the lock is, the simpler is its locking mechanism. Even a lamer criminal won’t need more than 15 minutes to open a cheap bike lock.
- Choose the right place to park your bike. Always fasten it to strong railings, fencing and parking racks, which you can find near shops and cafes.
- When leaving your bike take with you all valuables that may attract unwanted attention.
- Always choose a crowded place to park your bike.
- Use two bike locks.
- Don’t leave your bike unkept for a long time unless necessary.
- When parking a bike leave it on low pass and take all valuable and snazzy accessories off it.
- Don’t tell anyone how expensive your bike is.
- Write down and save your bike serial number.
- If the bike was stolen don’t hesitate to call the police.
Last update on 2018-06-23 at 22:12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API