In this review you will find information about Flex Seal products – they will help those who need to repair a leak in the roof, pool, barrel or any other object or surface.
So, your roof leaks all the time and you are dreaming to fix it once and for all? I think you need a high quality and reliable material, that is easy to apply, safe and that will serve for a long time. I’m sure that Flex Seal is exactly what you need.
For quite a long time builders were missing this perfect material, that will ensure reliable damp proofing. All rolled materials used earlier (such as roof felt) were put end-to-end, therefore all slits were then sealed separately. However, time compromises the integrity of sealing.
The cover loses firm adhesion with the base and exfoliates, joints dissolve and water ingresses inside. Nowadays, liquid rubber appeared and Flex Seal is one of the options you may choose.
- 1 What Flex Seal is look like?
- 2 Features of liquid rubber
- 3 How to apply Flex Seal properly?
- 4 The whole list of Flex Seal products with description of their properties and application instructions
What Flex Seal is look like?
The material has appearance similar to rubber: it is black, white or gray, waterproof and it has high elasticity. Before you apply it, it looks like emulsion.
Flex Seal belongs to a group of two component pastes. Manufacturers don’t really like this simple term “liquid rubber”, they prefer to call this type of sealing material a “solid-drawn spray-applied hydroseal”. Though, for users convenience they agree for calling it “liquid rubber”.
The thing is that liquid rubber composition is different from those of an ordinary one. It is based on using emulsified bitumen with addition of polymers and stabilizers.
Features of liquid rubber
Its main difference from its analogues is that it freezes instantly and transfers into solid phase right away. The watery base of the material prevents toxic substances formation and their evaporation.
Flex Seal is becoming more common in the Northern regions, since it can stand abrupt subzero weather. Besides, this material is free from the main demerit that bitumen has – aging effect.
Carboxethyl ester that bitumen contains evaporates gradually. Presence of polymers in liquid rubber prevents aging and extends its service life up to 20 years.
Flex Seal – is very firm and elastic material. It doesn’t exfoliate at vibration, mechanic damages, rapid change of temperatures and etc. Its composition isn’t flammable, sturdy against chemicals and basic construction mixes.
When is liquid rubber used?
Its main application area is all kinds of waterproofing work. Besides, it is applied in the following cases:
in civil engineering – to improve vapor-proof barrier and waterproofing layer of partition walls, floors, basements, storage basins and capacities, external surfaces of walls under the conditions of increased humidity;
when building hazardous industrial facility – subways, tunnels, bridges, to strengthen slopes and embankments, subsurface rock;
for tubes, basements, walls, basements, floors waterproofing, when reconstructing an old or building a new roof;
in agriculture – when damming and building channels for irrigation;
when developing waterworks and in civil engineering – to ensure water-resisting properties of water towers, bunkers, pools, sediment basins, drains and to protect concrete constructions.
What are Flex Seal advantages?
In comparison with traditional sealing materials Flex Seal has the following advantages:
- when applying on a surface it covers it with a solid cover;
- spraying is performed by means of “cold spraying” (i.e. neither the surface, nor the substance require heating);
- it has long lifetime;
- waterproofing layer made of liquid rubber is resistant to temperature gradients from -45°C to 100°C;
- it sticks well to any construction materials;
- roofs become completely waterproof, this type of hydro isolation has no joints;
- this material is resistant to ultraviolet, chemicals influence and mechanic damage;
- it is quite economizing when applying it on a surface – it doesn’t require water, fire or electricity;
- odor free;
- high elasticity, easy to stretch and recovers its original shape fast;
- rust proof and ecologically harmless material;
- it can be applied on any surfaces – horizontal, vertical, inclined ones.
When you shouldn’t apply Flex Seal
If you have big plans to reconstruct and repair your roof, maybe it’s worth to reconsider the idea of buying this material. As well as it is quite costly, the material can be removed only manually, which will take rather long, since Flex Seal almost doesn’t react with petroleum products and solvents.
What Flex Seal product are on sale
The company has designed several types of materials:
- Flex Seal Spray – spray. This is the best way of quality and fast sputtering of liquid rubber on large areas;
- Flex Seal Liquid Rubber – it is prepared right before you start the work and then you just apply it on the surface. This type of liquid rubber looks like paste or thick creamy liquid, which is manually applied on a surface you’d like to protect from water. Paint scrapers, brushes and paintbrushes are used for this.
- Flex Tape Rubberized Waterproof Tape – is a specialized tape, that you can turn over the leaking spots or you can close the hole with it. The tape is very sticky and firm.
- Flex Glue – as you see from the name, this is a glue, it is manufactured in a tube like the one in which silicone is sold. However, unlike silicone you can apply Flex Glue even under water.
So, if you need to process a small area, for example, to seal a chink in a balcony on the 2nd floor, now there is no need to call some specialists with bulky inventory. You can use Flex Seal Spray or Liquid Rubber.
At that, you still have to understand that to perform some more serious and large scaled tasks on damp proofing of your roof, you’ll still have to call specialists.
How to apply Flex Seal properly?
Whatever type of liquid rubber you buy, it’ll by all means firmly stick to any surface whether it is a metal, wood, concrete, brick or resin one. The only requirement is that this surface is dry and dust-free if possible.
To prevent moisture ingress the liquid rubber is applied with plenty to spare. For instance, when sealing a chink in a balcony, you should also process a part of the neighboring wall. The height of overlap is about 10 inches. At the same time you should process all joints within reach.
Thickness of the layer you should apply depends on a surface you are processing with liquid rubber. Therefore, on a metal roof you should apply a layer at least 2-3 mm thick, on brickworks – up to 1.5mm and for concrete structural sections – up to 2 mm.
When spraying liquid rubber on a roof, you should wash the surface thoroughly, dry it and clean off the grease from it. Before you start applying waterproof layer you should do the following:
- make sure that the roof is reliably and properly fixed;
- prepare the roof surface for the substance application;
- prepare necessary equipment and tools;
- get Flex Seal in the required amount
In general, you can use this material at almost any temperature above zero. If you spray it at temperature 50 °F (10°C), it’ll solidify completely in a day, at 100 °F (20°C) the term of solidifying decreases up to 4 hours. The main thing is that the weather stays dry during this period of time.
Flex Seal is a high quality modern material that is being regularly used all over the world. Due to its unique properties Flex Seal is widely applied when building large industrial objects. However, any owner of a small house can use Flex Seal as well to perform running repairs.
The whole list of Flex Seal products with description of their properties and application instructions
Flex Seal Spray Rubber Sealant – for fast repairs
This is a spray for fast application and surface processing. Keep in mind that the material contains volatile substances and is not as safe as other products you can choose. Therefore, it’s not recommended to use the substance inside or to process places where there are pets as well as pools and ponds.
Take into account that this product is the least efficient one and to get the effect you’ll need to apply it in several layers and dry it properly. This material has rather wide color array in comparison with Flex Seal Liquid Rubber.
- Liquid Rubber Sealant Coating
- Ready to use
- This product is manufactured in United States
- It will not crack or peel in winter cold
Flex Seal Liquid Rubber – you should have it in every house
This is the continuation of the company product line – the most reliable and convenient one. This is the product you can use to seal some serious leakages. Roofs, pools, cars, boats, basements – the list is endless. Large volume allows not to economize and to waterproof any surface.
Unlike the spray Flex Seal Liquid Rubber is not toxic and can be used at any conditions. It is easy to work with, you can clean the tools after work by means of solvent.
- Pour, Brush or roll on with roller
- Non-toxic, easy to use
- Sweeps into cracks & holes, seals out water
- Lasts for years, stays flexible & pliable
- Will not sag or drip in summer heat, will not crack or peel in winter cold
Flex Tape – its a firm tape, but don’t expect any miracles here
Commercials say that this tape will stop the leakage, work under water and solve whatever problems you have with waterproofing. Unfortunately, this isn’t so. You should understand that if there is a hole in a water pipe and the pressured water is running, not even the highest quality patch will stop it completely.
However, Flex Tape is good as a temporary solution till you find another one. It’ll stop the main rush of water, though it won’t be able to turn the water off.
However, if you need to fix the leakage from inside, then Flex Tape is exactly what you need. In this case the water pressure helps the patch to stick to the wall. In general, this is a good product, but don’t expect it to do miracles.
It will do as a patch for a hole in the pipe, it’ll stop the water at low pressure, serve as a temporary patch, but it won’t stop the water at a high pressure.
- FLEX TAPE is a super strong, rubberized, waterproof tape that can patch, bond, seal and repair virtually everything!
- FLEX TAPE is specially formulated with a thick, flexible, rubberized backing that conforms to any shape or object!
- FLEX TAPE can be applied hot or cold, wet or dry, even underwater!
- FLEX TAPE instantly seals out water, air and moisture to create a super strong, flexible, watertight barrier!
- FLEX TAPE is UV resistant, environmentally friendly, VOC-free and has a wide temperature range so it can be used in extreme weather conditions!
Flex Glue – an expensive product, but quite an ordinary one
The ads promise that this material will immediately stick on any surfaces and will work for a long time. However, this is just what the ads say. In fact, the glue is of rather middling quality.
It dries for a long while and its durability is so so. I wouldn’t recommend it, since the products mentioned above are of several times higher quality.
This one doesn’t differ from any cheap glue at the hardware store. Except its cost!
- FLEX GLUE is an easy to use, super strong, rubberized, waterproof adhesive that instantly bonds, seals and repairs virtually everything!
- FLEX GLUE's super thick adhesive clings to the surface and can be used on dry or wet surfaces... EVEN UNDERWATER!
- FLEX GLUE's amazing INSTANT GRAB holds objects in place and in most cases, eliminates the need for braces
- FLEX GLUE PRO FORMULA has EVEN MORE INSTANT GRAB! CAULKING GUN REQUIRED FOR THE 10oz. PRO FORMULA!
- FLEX GLUE is mildew and UV resistant, paintable, solvent free, VOC compliant, low odor and will not shrink or crack!
- Flex Seal for moistureproofing can reliably stick on almost any surface
- The quality of obtained adherence doesn’t depend on “how old” the surfaces are
- It gets inside chinks and defects of all forms by following the defect shape and filling it sealably. This is what makes it different from other sealing materials, which have higher consistence
- It excellently protects the surfaces from rust, since it works without any joints
- High elasticity ensures the liquid rubber durability without cracks and deformations
- Waterproofing performed by means of liquid rubber is absolutely not toxic. Even at hot weather this covering doesn’t evaporate any volatile oils.
- It is possible to waterproof a basement in the block of flats by means of liquid rubber without temporary expulsion
- When spraying the material it fills any chinks and cracks even the smallest ones – the whole processed surface is uniformly filled with hydrobonder
- This material is easy to repair - in case of mechanic or any other damage you should just apply some more Flex Seal where needed and the whole construction is protected from water again.
- Flex Seal Spray has a wide color palette, which allows using it when creating design elements
- Quite an expensive thing. Though it pays off with some advantages and long lifetime
- However, in case of inappropriate usage the material is not durable
Last update on 2018-07-17 at 01:19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API