Just a few years ago I was chuckling when seeing my husband who turned on a bedside lamp, put on his glasses and then spent quite a while trying to focus on the digits on his phone screen to see the time. Now it’s not funny any more, I’m doing the same thing – I can’t see as good as before.
That’s why I decided to buy an electronic projection clock. First, as usual I spend some time surfing the Internet to find the best price for such a clock and to read the reviews. So, now I’m sharing my findings with you.
How I was choosing it
I needed just a simple clock. The one that can project time on a ceiling or some other surface. I had very simple requirements: digits had to be large, bright and clear. That was it.
However, as we all know, the appetite comes with eating. So, the deeper I got into all the details and additional functions of a projection alarm clock, the more I wanted not just a clock, but a weather observing device with a function of time projection, for example, or a sky projector lamp.
But let’s go step by step.
What types of projection alarm clock you can see on the market
Such clocks may vary greatly not only in their appearance and size, but also in a set of functions they offer. At that, the same manufacturer may have both basic models and full featured ones. It’s easy to guess what basic functions include:
- Digital watch within the accuracy of 1 sec;
- The projector itself, that displays information onto a ceiling or other surface;
- An alarm clock.
Frankly speaking, I haven’t found such simple models among internet shop offers. All projection clocks that I have seen have some other features except the above mentioned. Therefore, we may consider display illumination and adjustment of image focus as basic functions of the projection clock as well.
Full featured gadgets may also have the following additional functions:
- an embedded thermometer and/or a remote temperature sensor to put it outside;
- a calendar;
- humidity detector;
- light sensor that automatically turns on the projector when it gets dark and etc.
Besides, such projection clocks may have an option to change the color of the image displayed and the projector can be moved to direct the projection some other way, if you want to see it on the wall or furniture.
Most of such upgraded models don’t even require you to set the time manually, since they do it automatically by synchronizing with a radio signal.
Everything looks pretty simple here: projection clock may operate either from the mains or from batteries. But it’d better have a possibility to use both. Let me explain:
When the clock operates just from batteries, it won’t work long, if the projector is on all the time. Of course, you may turn the projector off and push ‘ON’ button only when you need it. But this way the whole idea of buying a projection clock doesn’t make any sense. Since the idea is just to open your eye a bit and see the time right away and not to look for the button blindly at night to push it and see the time.
Operation from the mains is more reliable, but in case of power cutoff the clock will turn off as well. Moreover, all the settings will be lost and you’ll have to set the time all over again.
That’s why, from my point of view, the best option is when a projection clock has two powering modes: the main one and the alternate powering mode.
My choice is Mpow Projection Clock
This is quite a new model (if I’m not mistaken, it has been on the market since 2017), but I have chosen it because my colleague has bought such a clock and she is very pleased with it.
First thing that has caught my attention was a large number of positive feedback about it on Amazon.com and its high rating there.
I decided to study the device functions. Thankfully, it is a rather simple device, so I didn’t expect to find anything special here. However, it has turned out that this projection clock can do quite a lot of things.
The first thing I was expecting from a projection clock was to see bright and large digits on the ceiling of my room. The projector of Mpow Projection Clock is responsible for this. It can rotate by 120° (90° forward or 30° backward).
In general I’m satisfied with how the time is displayed. The digits are very clear and at that the light doesn’t disturb my sleep at all and doesn’t annoy me. They are poorly seen at day, though it would be strange to expect something else in this respect.
7.1 x 1.9 x 3.6 inches. This clock perfectly fits my bedside table and it doesn’t take much space. I love the shape of the clock, it has so called Arc-shaped LED Display. Frankly speaking, I didn’t quite get what its advantages are, but it looks very stylish.
The digits on the display are large, clearly seen both at night and at day. I forgot to mention, that I adore their color. It is bright enough, well visible, but at that it is a very restrained color. If you want the color to be more pale or brighter, there are 4 modes you can select from (OFF-Low Light-Medium Light-Bright Light).
Dual Alarm with Snooze
As all of us I want to stay in bed for some more time after the alarm clock rings. Just for such cases this projection clock has a dual alarm that will go off in 5-60 min depending on the settings.
FM Radio, Sleep Timer Function, USB Charging Port for Smartphones these are not necessary, but rather nice bonuses you get. FM radio operates at a frequency from 76.0 to 108.0MHz and it can remember up to 15 radio stations. Sometimes the signal may be low and the device has 33-inch antenna just for such a case.
Sleep Timer Function allows to listen to the radio for 90-75-60-45-30-15-10-5 minutes, after this period of time the radio will go off. This really helps to fall asleep. Besides I’m using Somneo together with the projection clock, so I knock off in 5 minutes.
And, of course, the possibility to charge your smartphone directly from the clock is priceless. Now you don’t have to look for another socket or to worry that the phone will run out of charge.
Battery Backup for Memorizing Settings
Remember I was saying that it was very important for the projection clock to have two powering modes? Because in case of electricity shut down you have very high chances to oversleep and be late for work. So, Mpow Projection Clock has a battery (it comes in the device set).
I was seduced as well by the Amazon.com offer, that provides 18 month warranty for this projection clock and 45-day money back.
Pluses and minuses
- 5 INCH ULTRA-CLEAR PROJECTION ALARM CLOCK: Mpow 5inch alarm clock with 120°adjustable projector (from -30° to 90°) allows to project ultra-clear time onto ceiling or wall within the range of 1.6-10ft. You can adjust the brightness of the projection (OFF-Dim-Bright) as you need. NOTE: 1.The optimal projecting distance is 7-10ft. 2.Long press the “Project” button to flip projection view upside down 180.
- CURVED LED DISPLAY CLOCK WITH DIMMER: Mpow sleek projection clock with curved design fits perfect with your furniture. 4 screen display adjustable brightness (OFF-Low Light-Medium Light-Bright Light) enables you to set screen display as you like. Turn off the screen display of Mpow bedroom alarm clocks and leave the alarm clock projection on ceiling at night, you can simply glance at the ceiling and see the time without glasses.
- DUAL ALARM CLOCK WITH SNOOZE: Mpow digital alarm clock makes it possible to set two separate wake-up times, and wake you up with your favorite Radio Station or a Standard Buzzer. Snooze function gives you 5-60 extra minutes of sleep before alerting you again. NOTE: The alarm only stays on 5 minutes without any operations. 2.The FM alarm volume and the buzzer sound can not get incrementally louder.
- FM RADIO CLOCK WITH SLEEP TIMER: Mpow FM radio alarm clock can store up to 15 FM preset stations from 76.0 to 108.0MHz. The 33inch antenna at the back of the clock can be extended to strengthen radio signal, allowing you to listen to music, news, weather forecast. Designed with the sleep timer function, you can set the sleep timer (Among 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90minutes or OFF), and radio will automatically turn off after the specified time.
- USB PORT FOR CHARGING CELLPHONES: 5V/1.2A USB output interface at the back of Mpow digital clock allows you to charge iPhone or Android smartphones easily. AC power is required for ALL functions working, while backup battery (Included) with memory function can ONLY backup time and alarm setting in case of power failure.
- The projector is convenient to use
- Operates both from the mains and from a battery
- Large digits
- Nice color and not annoying light
- Can be used to charge a mobile phone
- FM radio
- No Bluetooth
- No socket for headphones
- Inconvenient settings
- Small buttons
- Loud alarm clock signal
Last update on 2018-05-21 at 02:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API