We are introducing UpWalker in our current review. This is a product designed for people with disorders. It is quite an expensive one. In our article you’ll get the answers to the following questions: whether it is worth its money or is it just another rubbish being advertised on TV? What are its features? Who won’t be able to use this device?
Nobody’s insured against injuries or breaking leg. To recover a motor ability one should continuously workout his/her broken limb, do therapeutic exercises. Rollators were invented by health care professionals to lighten the patient’s state and help him/her to recover faster. These are special devices that can be used both by people with disorders and elderly people with ambulant disabilities.
What are these devices for?
Rollators for disabled and elderly people are necessary in the following cases:
- For elderly – to ensure their walking without any without exterior help. Rollators are more well-balanced than canes or crutches, that’s why this is a perfect option for them
- People with disabilities need rollators as well to reduce the load from the lower limbs and keep the balance when standing and walking.
There are the following types of rollators produced for disabled people and seniors:
With front rollers. Such a rollators are easy to walk with, however they are not recommended for the patients with developmental coordination disorder. Since when using these rollators they have high chances of loosing their balance. As well as these devices can’t be used by patients who are at the first stage of their recovery process.
Stationary rollators. Due to them the patient keeps his balance when walking and improves his motion coordination. Such rollators are used to walk on a solid and plane surfaces. The patient just moves the whole construction in front of him when walking and the body weight is unloaded from the lower limbs and transferred to arms. These rollators are recommend to use at the beginning of the recovery process, when the patient finds it hard to keep balance.
Multi-purpose rollators. These walkers can be transformed from fixed into walking position, that’s why they can be used both at the beginning of rehabilitation process and when the patient already feels better.
Walking rollators. By means of these devices the patient will move left and right legs of the rollator by turns, this way imitating his owns steps. This device is used at later stages of rehabilitation.
Rolling walkers – these models have four rollers (just like UpWalker). They will perfectly do for long walks. Here the front wheels can turn and they always have adjustable arm supports as well as seat and bag.
UpWalker review – what are the device features?
- Length: 34″
- Width: 23.5″
- Inside Width: 18″
- Armrest Height: 33″ – 45″
- User Height: 54″ – 70″
- Weight Limit: 300lb
- Seat Size: W18″ xD11″
- Seat Height: 20″
- Sit-To-Stand Handle Height: 30″
- Folded Size: L34″ x H37.8″ x W8.5″
Due to the fact that when using UpWalker you are capable to walk using upright posture, which is maximally close to the natural position of the healthy person’s back.
Besides, such a posture is natural it has minimal risks for the patient to loose balance. Not to mention how important this is for people with disorders. Many of them are just afraid to use rolling walkers because of the risk to loose balance and fall down.
At that when walking with UpWalker the load on cardiovascular system and lungs decreases and this way the patient gets less tired.
Another important thing is that UpWalker weight is 23 lbs.
It is quite light weighted, small sized and portable. All these advantages are due to using modern materials – aluminum, composite plastic and polyurethane. Even for senior or disabled person it is rather easy to lift UpWalker, if it is required to move its wheels over a door sill. At that you can put it down with one sweep.
UpWalker is designed for everyday usage both inside and outside.
Does it fit through standard size doors in a house? Yes. Its size when it’s packed is 34 inches long x 8.5 inches wide x 37.5 inches high. The shipping weight is 32 pounds.
There is only one color available – Graphite gray and there are no options at the moment.
If a person is sitting in an armchair to get up he needs a rest. It is especially true for elderly people. UpWalker has sit-to-stand handles, which can be used to get up.
Unlike other models UpWalker has four wheels, 8 inches in diameter each. This is a sufficient plus to the device mobility. These wheels easily overcome obstacles and can ride on sand, grass and ground.
Arrives fully assembled – no assembly required! Height and other adjustments required for personalize the device to a specific user – they are very simple and have high allowance. You shouldn’t worry that UpWalker won’t fit somebody’s height.
The seat dimensions are: W18″ x D11″ x H20″ The UPWalker is suitable for users from 4 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall. Maximum permissible weight of the user is up to 300 pounds.
Another interesting and useful feature is that UpWalker has a hand-brake. Even if the user looses the control of the device, gets scared and UpWalker startd moving on its own (for example, down the hill), the user can always push the hand-brake and stop the vehicle.
There is also a small, but nice perk – an additional bag (Standard personal item bag: 13 inches wide x 6 inches deep x 10 inches high), where you can put the things your need and a beverage holder. Additionally you can buy a Luxury personal item bag and a Shopping bag.
Besides, at some extra cost the manufacturer offers: Cane/umbrella holder, Smartphone holder, Safety flashlight/taillight.
In case if the product didn’t fit you or you didn’t like it there is a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and the guarantee against manufacturing defects for 6 months.
If you don’t believe what commercials say, just watch the video below. UpWalker manufacturers visited patients with Parkinson disease and presented them their product.
- Enables users to stand upright and look ahead with better support, greater dignity, and greater confidence to walk farther and remain active
- More comfortable compared to other walkers and rollators because it reduces stress and pain on joints in your wrists, back and legs
- Easily folds for lightweight, easy transport and optimal mobility
- Plus 3 Free Accessories: drink holder, seat backrest, and personal bag!
- As Seen on TV!
- Perfectly balanced in comparison with canes and crutches. Its reliability is achieved due to the large bearing area
- Possibility to choose suitable position depending on the disease or user’s constitutional peculiarities.
- Reduces lower limb loads and pain as a result. Possibility to move along the road with corrugations and hummocky surface.
- All actions performed by means of such devices are useful as additional physical loads for the user’s body.
- Despite the fact that UpWalker can be closed and it is rather small sized it may not fit some houses. Since still its not small.
- It is hard to maneuver in tight spaces in the house
- You can’t use it to go downstairs on your own (unlike the cane or crutches)
- High price
Last update on 2018-05-21 at 02:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API